Monday, April 6, 2015

Hobby - Showcase: Imperial Knight Errant


"A broken blade can still kill, a wounded warrior can still serve"

Hey guys, it took me ages to finish this model but I am so happy with the outcome. This is my count as Gerantius/Errant in my House colors.
I took a huge leap of faith and decided to burn, cut, and melt one of the most expensive model I have ever bought just go get the authentic look I wanted. I don't know if that means I am an artist now or an idiot.




I damaged his shoulder pads by drilling into them repeatedly for the look of gouge marks from large caliber rounds. The knight has three skull marks on this back pad to denote kills of enemy leaders.

"I walked among gods and fell among men. This life is a gift from the Emperor to do his bidding."


 I really wanted this face to give off the vibe of the stoic warrior, wounded yet unflinching. Or maybe I have just watched too much Terminator 2. I can see a little Schwarzenegger in my knight.


I almost set my table on fire going for the battle damage on the right leg but it was worth it. I also purposely left off knee pads and a leg piece to show extreme battle damage.


I also cut his leg to give a walking pose. One of the back cables is actually base wire that I got from a friend. It looks almost identical to the originally cable but much longer and able to bend.



I tried to show intense heat damage from the melta cannon with have a fade effect from black, to blue, to purple on the end of the barrel.





My "Come at me Bro" pose.


I broke off teeth on the chain blade and I blame that on the book Betrayer. If Angron can do it,why can't my knight.

I just love the way the red and white shoulder pad look together. I am going to have to do a red knight at some point. Or just an army that has the deep red and white contrast.

 When I first made the model I was worried about all the color combination that I included but once I once I saw this top view I fell in love.The yellow of my 501st army really puts the knight errant at home as an ally.



As always I hope you all enjoyed the show, comments and criticisms are always welcomed. I have one more regular knight and a Castigator to complete. Expect those in the near future.

4 comments:

  1. I love this so much... Please can you share how you weathered the white?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pretty simple technique that just takes time to master. I spray the area white with GW primer, wash with a mix of nuln oil and agrax. I use q-tips to remove the wash except in the recesses.

      After that I do the same thing with a orange wash for a rust effect. Finally I high light with ceramite white.

      Delete
  2. Kuyo, some of hte damage effects you've created here are incredible. My absolute favorite is the one shin plate. It just looks amazing and you should be really proud of it!

    One suggestion that might help bring the piece a bit more pop. I really like what you've done with the face, but I feel having some sort of highlight in the eyes underneath the plate (or even if there is a bit of eye left in the burned section), would really draw attention to that part and give it a "I'll never surrender" type vibe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I want to think it is just the lighting that keeps you from seeing his eye because I did make it yellow with a gloss effect. I will see if there is anything else I can do to bring it out more.

      Delete