Monday, September 30, 2013

Review: Macragge Blue Spray

Games Workshop recently added to their line four colored spray cans along side the Space Marine release that match various chapters. They offer a spray for Space Wolves,Ultramarines, Dark Angels, and Blood Angels armies. As for me I am an undercover smurf so I decide to give the Macragge Blue a try on an dreadnought model I had laying around.


One of the big concern I know a lot of people will have with these sprays is if they are actually the same tone as the paint pot. I can say that the Macragge Blue is true to it's name and is identical to the paint, you can take a look for yourself below. 


I started off by priming the model in Chaos Black. I preformed this with quick vertical bursts making sure to cover the model evenly. After two coats of black I let the model sit outside for 25 minutes while I watched more of the Breaking Bad marathon.

Next came the true test laying down the Macragge Blue. I treated this spray like I would white primer from Games Workshop so I used spiral burst with the can until it was covered completely. Insert more Breaking Bad until the Macragge dries.

I was really worried about how the spray would react to paint from the pot but I had no issues besides maybe needing another layer here and there. For the mechanical parts of the dreadnought I used Mithral Silver and this is because I couldn't find my Boltgun but the color is close enough. For the areas that would be gold and parchment I laid down a foundation of Dryad Bark. For red areas I used Mephiston Red. Next I applied a mix wash of Agrax Earthshade and Nuln Oil to the entire model. 

Once the wash dried I used Macragge blue on the model but with leaving the darker shade in the recesses. On top of that layer I mixed Calgar Blue with the Macragge for a higher highlight on the upper portions of the dreadnought. A final highlight of pure Calgar Blue was lightly applied to the very top of the armor.

The gold areas where painted with Tin Bitz, Burnished Gold, another mixed wash and lately finished with a dry brush of Golden Griffon.

The red areas where just highlighted with Mephiston Red. The parchment was hit with Screaming Skull then Pallid Wych Flesh. The areas of metal where dry brushed with Necron Compound.

I then applied some weathering to the model because I love weathering being a Imperial Guard player. The dreadnought is about 80% done but I would be proud to put this on the table.

 The new Spray is fantastic if you want to use one of those four colors as a base and will cut out a lot of time for painter to crank out armies. For 17 dollars a can GW has delivered a solid product that lives up to the idea that you pay for what you get. I look forward to experimenting with the others in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment