Monday, October 21, 2013

Tournament results: Montag's Games

Hello 40K fans I am here to bring you the results of my latest tournament. This was held at Montag's Games a great gaming store located in the Southeast Houston/Pearland area.
The tournament was a 3 game 1850 RTT with all the entry fees going towards prize support

I wrestled with playing guard but I want to finishing painting everything before I bring them out again so I pulled out my Chaos/Daemons instead. This would be my second time playing with this particular list and it is pretty beat face but with some glaring weaknesses. Though balance has never been my style. I like to think that a square peg will fit into a round hole if you smash it into there enough. My list consisted of the following.

Daemon Prince of Nurgle : Black Mace, Wings, Three powers, Gift, armor
Cultist x10
Cultists x10
Heldrake
Heldrake
Lord of Change: Three powers, Two greater gifts, lesser gift
Plaguebearers
Aegis Defense Line with Comms
Daemon Prince of Tzeentch: Three powers, Two greater gifts, armor
Obliterators x3

My first game was technically a bye because of the odd number of players so I was rewarded seven points out of the possible ten. I got to play a game though because a local player was able to play for two rounds of the tournament with another players second army. Emperors Will/Crusade Chaos vs Grey Knights, who could ask for a a better first game? This was close to his list

Coteaz
Inquisitor in terminator armor
Psyfileman dreadnought
Psyifleman dreadnought
Storm Raven
Strike Marines x 10
Terminators x 10 (decked out)
Terminators x 10 (decked out)
Terminator x 5 (decked out)

I can't remember my opponents name but he was a great guy and I am so glad for him participating on the fly for the tournament. However the game didn't go well for him. I was able to table him by turn three. He had the bottom of three so the game kept going on but with his reserves coming in peace meal thanks to my warlord trait I consequently tabled him on turn four and finally on turn five. Everything went into my favor for that game and I claimed all bonus objectives, primary, and secondary. Since it was a bye though I only received seven points but I am just glad I can say I earned what I got.





My second opponent was the previous stores tournament winner David but this time he was running a Khan list. I had procrastinated about making my grav gun post but now that I have faced grav gun spam and it isn't just a theory I can say that I was right to claim that they would change the meta. The game was Big guns/Relic and his list was roughly

Khan
Chapter Master artificer ,bike, shield eternal, powerfist
8 bikers with two grav guns and multimelta attack bike x 4
Command squad all with grav guns
Thunderfire Cannon x 2
Storm Talon x 2 Assultcannon lascannon


This was an embarrassing game for me as I realized that my deployment was horrible and my decision to charge him straight out didn't make much sense. Instead of flying around and vector striking I went right into charging the squads. My Lord of Change was the MVP for this game though as he stayed into combat from turn one until turn five. Precognition is beautiful on him. Also the Heldrakes did what Heldrakes do and wiped out most his army and had I wanted for them to do their damage before slamming my princes into him I may have earned more than one point. A lost is just chance to learn and I learned a lot from fighting such a talented opponent.




The last round had me playing a guy named Charles and his Wave Serpent spam Eldar list. I fought him last tournament and I tabled him but he destroyed all my troops leaving me without the ability to take an objectives. With that in mind I did my best to keep my little gribbles away from those mean Wave Serpents. The game was Purge/Scouring and his list was

Autarch
Guardians x 4
5 Wraithguard x 2
6 Wave Serpents (decked out)
2 Night Spinners

I was really worried about this match because there wasn't any large LOS blocking terrain for me to hide from but after a lucky first turn Wave Serpent popping by my Obliterators I decided to take it to him. He fanned out with his Serpents and I basically chased them down with my monstrous creatures destroying them one by one. I keep my troops back with my comms relays and only sent them to the objectives when it was safe. I ended up tabling my opponent and capturing the objectives giving me a total of ten points.










After three great games I placed third. I was one point behind my friend Chris with his Iron Wolves army (Count as Iron Hands) and David came in first with his Khan list. I think this new Space Marine Codex is going to bring back the days of power armor but only time will tell. I hope you enjoyed the report, CC appreciated.





No comments:

Post a Comment