Thursday, May 1, 2014

Codex Review: Codex Astra Militarum



Here we are, I am finally ready to give my thoughts on the new Ministry of Muggles codex! I have been a long time Imperial Guard player. Ever since I shot my first basilisk in Dawn of War, I knew that I would have humanity on my back and a lasgun in my hands. I may have dabbled in the ruinous powers or the glamour of the grey knights but my heart has always been in the Imperial Infantryman's Primer.


First off I dislike the name change. Whatever was the purpose, I think being called Space Army is dumb. Maybe it is the Internet nerd in me that is afraid of change or maybe I just have an attachment to the Imperial Guard. Either way I won't be calling them Astra millimeter. I mean Astro Men, actually I wish they were called Astro Men. So here we go with my Imperial Guard Codex review!

Just like the old codex Imperial Guard have the ability to combine two models into one heavy weapons team. You basically turn into one model with the bulky rule and gain access to different weapons. Same old, same old for all the old players.

We now have access to Warlord Traits which aren't half bad. You have the choice to roll on this chart or the rule book. Also keep in mind that you if you have a tank commander as your warlord you must roll a D3 on the chart as you can't select from the main rule book.


  1. Grand Strategist: Can you say CREEEEEEED!  The Warlord Trait lets you give D3 units outflank from the primary detachment. This is similar to the old Creed's ability that gave one unit the scout special rule. I love outflank because it gives you so much flexibility and opens a variety of choice on the battlefield.
  2. Old Grudges: Let the hate flow through you! Your Warlord and your Warlord's unit have Preferred Enemy against any codex you choose. This is a great trait if you are bringing down some pain with your HQ. Imagine a Tank commander with some Leman Russes firing off punisher cannons or a Command Squad with four plasma guns just devastating a target.
  3. Draconian Disciplinarian: You should want this trait just because of its name. It is also useful. If you are within 12 of your warlord you don't have to worry about moral tests for losing 25%. 
  4. Implacable Determination: Relentless for your unit and Warlord. This is mildly good, I mean if you attach your Warlord to a unit with heavy weapons or if charging something is your fancy after you fire. It has it's place in the game but isn't something to call home about.
  5. Bellowing Voice: You gain Voice of Command, and if you have it already, you can use it at 18". Voice of Command is for issuing orders and we will get to that later.
  6. Master of Command: You gain Voice of Command, and if you already have it you can use an additional order. "Shoot better you pieces of grot hide!"
The Voice of Command makes the Imperial Guard the well oiled machine of the Emperor. An officer can issue a command at the beginning of the shooting phase as long as it's not in locked in combat, falling back, gone to ground, or in a vehicle other than a chimera. You will have two types of officers, regular officers and Senior officers. Senior officers have access to all nine orders opposed to six.

To issue an order pick an unit with in 12" and say what order you are doing. The unit must immediately take a leadership test to see if the order passed. You can't order a unit more than once, or to a unit gone to ground, in a transport, in combat, or falling back. Orders also don't work on vehicles. The risk or reward part of orders is if you roll double one on a leadership test, then all orders afterward pass automatically(Inspired Tactics). However if you roll double sixes you can't issue anymore orders for the turn (Incompetent Command). 


  1. Take Aim!: The unit gets Precision shot. This has the ability to be stellar. If you have an IC giving you problems, poke his eyes out. Stupid melta gun guy getting too close, plasma gun him in the chest.
  2. Smite at Will!: You gain split fire. This rule is meh to me. I mean it is only one model that gets to shoot another target so it isn't that big of a deal. 
  3. First Rank Fire! Second Rank Fire!: I have yelled this far too many times at game stores. The rule has got a small buff since our last book. You now get an additional shot with lasguns and hotshot lasguns. There is not thrill like picking up 140 dice and throwing them at your opponent. Flashlights? More like deathlights!
  4. Forward for the Emperor!: You get to shoot and run like the dirty Eldar but 100% more awesome because you serve the Emperor.
  5. Move! Move! Move!: 3D6 pick the highest to run. When you need to absolutely get to that objective, get those troopers moving.
  6. Suppression Fire!: The unit shoots and has the pinning special rule.
  7. Bring it Down!: Senior Officer only. The unit gains tank hunter and Monster Hunter special rules. A great order for taking out a big target.
  8. Fire on my Target!: Senior Officer only.This has to be the most amazing order in the book. The ordered unit gains ignore cover special rule. Hey Tau, who needs marker lights? Throw this bad boy on a heavy weapons team or plasma vets and watch the world burn.
  9. Get back in the Fight!: Senior Officer only. This is the one order than you can issue to a unit that is gone to ground or falling back. The unit will regroup and act as normally. You don't get the 3" extra movement but it also acts completely normal afterwards. If you are taking fire go ahead and go to ground. Get this order off and it's like you had free cover. This is amazing!
Now the main strategy around using orders is that you have to yell them as loudly and commanding as possible for the test to be passed. If you every thought the Ork player in the room was annoying, you haven't seen a good infantry guard player. (I take no responsibility for the consequences to your order yelling, unless you win. Then that is all me)

Next come the Heirlooms of Conquest, the artifacts of the Imperial Guard. I'm not really excited about these but maybe its something that will grow on me once I use them on the battlefield. They tend to be expensive without giving much of a boost to your army.


  1. Tactical Auto-Reliquary of Tyberius: What a mouth full....that's what she said? (Bad joke is bad) The unit with these doing orders will have inspired tactics on any doubles not just double ones. But if you do roll a double one you still get inspired tactics but the relic stops working for the rest of the game. I don't think it is worth the points sadly.
  2. The Laurels of Command: Within 6" of the bearing you can choose to pass or fail a moral test. On the downside if that model dies units within 6" take a pinning tests. This is a decent upgrade 
  3. Kurov's Aquila: Preferred Enemy for everyone within 6" and you get to reroll one failed leadership test. If this was cheaper it would be an auto take for any command squad but it is super pricey.
  4. The Blade of Conquest: +1 Str and Ap3 Mastercrafted. Go, Go, Melee Guard! Not worth it in my opinion. Get a powerfist for the points.
  5. The Emperor's Benediction:  A pistol that is Str5, Ap4, precision shot, master crafted. I guess all the shots are precision shots but it is only a pistol so nothing special.
  6. The Deathmask of Ollanius: 4++, It will not die, and fear. This is my favorite of the bunch. You pay for what you get.
I might just pass on the heirlooms in my lists. There are just so many other yummy things to spend points on. I just want to throw men at my opponent until he gets tired of killing them or dies from them.


 I can't wait to get into list building and get these men on the board. Next up is the HQ section for review.
As always leave a comment with your opinion and follow me if you thought I wasn't completely wrong. Until then make sure you are carrying your primer, guardsmen!


2 comments:

  1. ONe clarification for the relics, If you roll double ones with the TART, you can keep issuing orders, the relic just stops working, so you are back to the basic order rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! looks like I read that wrong. Good thing the Emperor made erasers. And D weapons, time to D weapon my mistake!

      Delete