Monday, October 15, 2018

10 hours of straight painting and 3 hours of sleep - Armies on Parade 2018

Welcome Imperial Citizens, Armies on Parade just ended world wide. Like many I participated and put my skills to the test against fellow hobbyist.
I had been thinking about this event for awhile now because last year I procrastinated and waited to the last minute to try and scrap together an army and board. However this year.....I sorta did the same thing. I finished my board 30 minutes before heading to the store. Proceeding that however was a full 10 hour painting session to finish my knight Castellan. I was in the zone and had it not been from pain in my knees and lower back I wouldn't have known how much time truly passed.


For the board I wanted to go with something simple, yet effective. Last year I spent a lot of time modeling the board which should have been spent on the models. The key to this board was to match my existing bases because I used three models which were finished already and are shining examples of my skills. The only problem with that, was I forgot my painting recipe for my bases. PRO TIP, WRITE YOUR PAINT RECIPES DOWN.


 After toying with random bases I got something almost identical. I aimed to do something a little extra on my board so I did research on water effects and gave it a go on my board. For my first real time using it, I would say it was almost perfect. After the water cured for a day and a half I noticed some cuts in the material. They weren't really distracting but the perfectionist in my noticed them. I would really like to make more water bases/terrain pieces in the future.


Looking at the categories for this year I aimed to get best painted and Monsters and Machines. I love painting big models. Partially because my eyesight is horrible and partially because I am talented at it. I chose to go with two Knight Lances. One lance would be my custom made House. And the other would be a Mechanicus House. This forced me to finish my Knight Castigator which had  been half built for maybe three years now.

This year was a smaller showing but my old GW just got a new manager. It was fun to meet him and all the players there. It was a completely new crowd from my days of playing 5th edition there. Below is a gallery of the entries.




























I ended up winning Best Painted and getting Silver for Best Armies on Parade. First place was a fully converted plague marine army from Nurgle's Garden, The Knights of Isha. Third place was a giant Black Templar army.




Overall I am happy with the results. It was great to push myself in the hobby and spend a day with like minded individuals. How did you all do in Armies on Parade? Will you be entering next year? Drop a comment below. Thanks for coming by, and as always, the Emperor protects - Kuyo

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing your army in time and the accolades. I've been taking part since 2013 and then sense of achievement in sharing my army with other like minded hobbyists is the highlight of the year. Unfortunately I couldn't be with my Parade on the day (family commitments) and had to set up on Friday and pick it up today. Seeing all the entries on Facebook was great but next year I'll have to ensure I'm there on the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I agree it is a great experience.This was my second year and I plan on doing it as long as I am still in the hobby. Hopefully next year you will have free time. What army did you have this year?

      Delete